I am a Yorkshire based artist specialising in palette knife work. I love portraiture and figurative work and, in recent years, I’ve developed a growing passion for landscapes, seascapes and coastal-inspired paintings which reflect the depth and diversity of the North of England and Scotland.
I come from a family of keen amateur painters. My mum studied at the Grimsby School of Art, while my father discovered his skills in watercolour painting in his late Seventies. My brother is a scientist who can’t paint for toffee (his words) and prefers to buy paintings instead (three cheers for scientists….).
Family commitments and a full time career in journalism left little time for drawing and painting until our daughters left home – and now I can’t stop. The artistic world is vibrant, exciting – and flourishing. In the past few years the exhibitions, sales and commissions have increased to the point where the art now runs side-by-side with writing for magazines – and I can’t think of a more enjoyable combination.
This website will give you an idea of the work which goes on in the spare bedroom-turned-art room – more grandly known as the ‘gallery’. I hope you enjoy it!
Exhibitions and Galleries
- The Ferens in Hull, (Winner of the Friends of Ferens first prize at the 2015 Open Exhibition)
- Beverley Open Exhibition
- The Art and Heritage Festival in Staithes
- Look Gallery, Helmsley
- Blossom Street Gallery, York
- Off The Wall, Beverley
- The Spa, Bridlington
- East Yorkshire Open Studios
- Untitled Exhibition, Chelsea, London 2016
- Lime Gallery, Settle
- Old Town Gallery, Bridlington
- Itch Gallery, Oakham, Notts
- L’Bidi Gallery, Huntingdon, Cambs
- Myton Gallery, Hull
- Kardomah, Hull
- Creation @ Salt, Beverley
- Art in the Market, Holmfirth 2016
- Winner of SAA Open Exhibition (landscapes) 2016
- ‘Art &’ in York Autumn 2017
- Staithes Arts and Heritage weekend: September 2017
- Kunsthius Gallery International Summer Open Exhibition 2017
- House of Fraser, Hull (celebrating City of Culture 2017)